THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
Baptism is the first of the seven sacraments, and the “door” which gives access to the other sacraments. Baptism is the first and chief sacrament of forgiveness of sins because it unites us with Christ, who died for our sins and rose for our justification. The rite of Baptism consists in immersing the candidate in water, or pouring water on the head, while pronouncing the invocation of the Most Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Baptisms at St. Patricks are offered in both English or Latin by appointment. The guidelines for having a child Baptized at St. Patrick’s are:
- Complete and submit the St. Patrick’s Baptismal Registration Form, the Parental Testimonial Form and the Godparent Testimonial Form. Please note that a signed form must be received for both Godparents. These forms should be filled out and returned as soon as possible.
- For Non-Parishioners, a permission letter must be obtained from you the Pastor of your home Parish, delegating St. Patrick’s Permission to perform the Baptism.
- Both the Parents and Godparents must attend a Baptismal Seminar conducted by a Priest or Deacon of the Catholic Church. A letter must be sent from the Priest or Deacon conducting the seminar, proving attendance.
- All selected Godparents must be Confirmed practicing Catholics over the age of 18. Only one Godparent is required. If you have only one Godparent, you may select a second person to participate as a Christian Witness as long as the person selected has been Baptized in another Christian Faith.
- If a Priest or Deacon from outside the Archdiocese of New Orleans is going to perform the Baptism, a letter of good standing from their home Diocese is required.
- The fee for Baptism’s at St. Patrick’s are:
- English – Parishioner $100 Suggested Donation, Non-Parishioner $200 required.
- Latin – Parishioner $200 Required, Non-Parishioner $300 required.
- In addition to the Baptism Fee, there is a $200-dollar stipend requirement for the Priest or Deacon performing the Baptism.
- All paperwork must be submitted, and all fees must be paid prior to the scheduling of any Baptism.
- Please contact the Sacramental Ministries Coordinator at (504) 525-4413 or via E-Mail at [email protected] a minimum of 3 months prior to your requested date of Baptism.